Education alone is not the solution to the world’s problems. An education does not necessarily make students good. It can, in fact, make them puffed up and vain. Knowledge is power. The goal of a classical education is to form the mind and character of the student so that he will use the power of knowledge for good ends.
Every school has a culture which is a reflection of its leadership. We strive to form the mind and character of the student to follow the example of Jesus Christ, the hero and savior of mankind, to practice the seven cardinal virtues, and to avoid the seven deadly sins.
At Highlands Latin, students start their day with this prayer:
Dearest Lord, teach me to be generous;
teach me to serve You as You deserve;
to give and not to count the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek for rest,
to labor and not to ask for reward
save that of knowing I am doing Your Will.
Through Christ Our Lord,
And end their day with this prayer:
We give You thanks, merciful God, for the
instruction and direction which we have
received. Grant us Your grace, that we may
remember this lesson and carry it into action,
for Your glory and our eternal salvation.
In the name of the Father, the Son,
and the Holy Spirit.
Highlands Latin School Code of Conduct
- We cheerfully and promptly obey the authority under which we are placed.
- We may appeal respectfully and courteously. We do not argue or negotiate.
- We love and honor one another.
- We give encouragement to each other.
- We do not point out the shortcomings of others in order to build ourselves up.
- We tell the truth.
- We do not disrespect the classroom and teacher by passing notes or otherwise interrupting.
- We do not spread rumors or gossip.
- We will not make excuses for our wrong actions, but will admit them.
- We avoid cliques, clubs, or games that exclude others.
- When others are sorry, we forgive them.
- When others are sad, we comfort them.
- When we have work to do, we do it without complaining.
- If we make a mess, we clean it up.
- We treat one another with respect and patience.